Population by Grama Niladhari Division

No.

Division No.

Grama Niladhari Division

Female

Male

Total

1

  96

Kumbalwella South

1267

1206

2473

2

96 A

Mahamodara

787

830

1617

3

96 B

Galwadugoda

2780

2555

5335

4

96 C

Kaluwella

858

576

1434

5

96 D

Fort

791

729

1520

6

96 E 

Richmond Hill

565

515

1080

7

96 F

Kandewatta

1839

1654

3493

8

96 G

Chinagarden

584

699

1283

9

96 H

Minuwangoda

231

195

426

10

96 I

Osanagoda

1009

916

1925

11

99 J

Kumbalwella North

582

332

914

12

97

Kongaha

930

875

1805

13

97 A

Weliwatta

1306

1497

2803

14

97 B

Madapathala

1479

1427

2906

15

97 C

Pokunawatta

492

479

971

16

97 D

Dangedara East

1925

1679

3604

17

98

Madawalamulla South

2133

2269

4402

18

98 A

Madawalamulla North

653

612

1265

19

98 B

Bataganvila

812

783

1595

20

98 C

Sangamittapura

621

605

1226

21

98 D

Dangedara West

1092

919

2011

22

99

Magalle

1417

1292

2709

23

99 A

Thalapitiya

3913

3529

7442

24

99 B

Pettigalawatta

723

642

1365

25

99 C

Makuluwa

2698

2344

5042

26

99 D

Dewathura

763

667

1430

27

100

Katugoda

1864

1911

3775

28

100 A

Dewata

587

543

1130

29

101

Maitipe

967

869

1836

30

101 A

Deddugoda South

1452

1068

2520

31

101 B

Milidduwa

1364

2625

3989

32

101 C

Deddugoda North

1620

1400

3020

33

101 D

Welipatha

881

848

1729

34

101 E

Maligaspe

558

506

1064

35

102

Dadella West

986

873

1859

36

102 A

Dadella East

838

782

1620

37

102 B

Waluwatta

896

862

1758

38

102 C

Siyambalagahawatta

1305

1182

2487

39

103

Gintota West

700

646

1346

40

103 A

Gintota East

750

642

1392

41

105

Welipitimodara

1536

1159

2695

42

106

Kurunduwatta

2671

1812

4483

43

107

Piyadigama

1041

936

1977

44

107 A

Bope North

497

484

981

45

108

Ukwattta East

352

331

683

46

108 A

Mahahapugala

1921

1844

3765

47

108 B

Ukwatta West

552

484

1036

48

119

Bope West

1016

978

1994

49

119 A

Bope East

1187

1101

2288

50

130

Eththiligoda South

1694

1532

3226

The number of families in the division

No.

Division No.

Grama Niladhari Division

Number of families

1

96

Kumbalwella South

538

2

96 A

Mahamodara

345

3

96 B

Galwadugoda

1064

4

96 C

Kaluwella

352

5

96 D

Fort

272

6

96 E 

Richmond Hill

518

7

96 F

Kandewatta

694

8

96 G

Chinagarden

305

9

96 H

Minuwangoda

103

10

96 I

Osanagoda

428

11

99 J

Kumbalwella North

238

12

97

Kongaha

341

13

97 A

Weliwatta

521

14

97 B

Madapathala

602

15

97 C

Pokunawatta

208

16

97 D

Dangedara East

736

17

98

Madawalamulla South

1025

18

98 A

Madawalamulla North

336

19

98 B

Bataganvila

374

20

98 C

Sangamittapura

290

21

98 D

Dangedara West

540

22

 99

Magalle

467

23

99 A

Thalapitiya

1818

24

99 B

Pettigalawatta

340

25

99 C

Makuluwa

1043

26

99 D

Dewathura

342

27

100

Katugoda

836

28

100 A

Dewata

277

29

101

Maitipe

445

30

101 A

Deddugoda South

610

31

101 B

Milidduwa

790

32

101 C

Deddugoda North

612

33

101 D

Welipatha

730

34

101 E

Maligaspe

271

35

102

Dadella West

498

36

102 A

Dadella East

367

37

102 B

Waluwatta

462

38

102 C

Siyambalagahawatta

664

39

103

Gintota West

361

40

103 A

Gintota East

365

41

105

Welipitimodara

779

42

106

Kurunduwatta

921

43

107

Piyadigama

606

44

107 A

Bope North

274

45

108

Ukwattta East

225

46

108 A

Mahahapugala

779

47

108 B

Ukwatta West

329

48

119

Bope West

498

49

119 A

Bope East

627

50

130

Eththiligoda South

831

Total

26997

Grama Niladari Divisions and Extent of the Land

No.

Division No.

Grama Niladhari Division

Extent of the land (H.)

1

  96

Kumbalwella South

64

2

96 A

Mahamodara

61

3

96 B

Galwadugoda

59

4

96 C

Kaluwella

44

5

96 D

Fort

48

6

96 E 

Richmond Hill

48

7

96 F

Kandewatta

35

8

96 G

Chinagarden

33

9

96 H

Minuwangoda

17

10

96 I

Osanagoda

13

11

99 J

Kumbalwella North

18

12

97

Kongaha

21

13

97 A

Weliwatta

27

14

97 B

Madapathala

23

15

97 C

Pokunawatta

47

16

97 D

Dangedara East

49

17

98

Madawalamulla North

38

18

98 A

Madawalamulla South

57

19

98 B

Bataganvila

38

20

98 C

Sangamittapura

23

21

98 D

Dangedara West

31

22

99

Magalle

75

23

99 A

Thalapitiya

17

24

99 B

Pettigalawatta

47

25

99 C

Makuluwa

53

26

99 D

Dewathura

28

27

100

Katugoda

44

28

100 A

Dewata

37

29

101

Maitipe

85

30

101 A

Deddugoda South

68

31

101 B

Milidduwa

74

32

101 C

Deddugoda North

52

33

101 D

Welipatha

66

34

101 E

Maligaspe

29

35

102

Dadella West

41

36

102 A

Dadella East

24

37

102 B

Waluwatta

50

38

102 C

Siyambalagahawatta

56

39

103

Gintota West

56

40

103 A

Gintota East

49

41

105

Welipitimodara

69

42

106

Kurunduwatta

70

43

107

Piyadigama

91

44

107 A

Bope North

24

45

108

Ukwattta East

72

46

108 A

Mahahapugala

94

47

108 B

Ukwatta West

92

48

119

Bope West

38

49

119 A

Bope East

28

50

130

Eththiligoda South

67

Total

2390

Legends relating to the preparation of village names

Village Name

Preparing of village name

 

Kubalwella

In the past, the pottery industry was  home to many inhabitants in this village. The Sinhala name for this  industryis “KumbalKarmanthaya” .Therefore this village has been named as Kumbalwella.

Galwadugoda

Skilled  craftsman who made stone sculptures were lived in this area  .They were very popular among various parts of the island .The Sinhala term used to introduce them  is “Galwaduwa”. Therefore this GramaNiladhari Division  is named as “Galwadugoda. Sri SumangalaThilakarama Temple in this division is also  an ancient temple in this division.

Fort

On the permission of King Dharma Parakramabahuwho was in charge of state affairsfor Parakramabahu VIII of the Kotte, conducted the construction activities of  Galle Fort . The construction activities was beganin a very  small area of  Galle fort which protruded to sea .  In 1505, the fortress built by the sailors, including Lorenzo Almeida, wasnamed as  Galle Fort.  In 1640, the Dutch formed a tower with watchtowers and unique architectural features.   In 1896, this was used by the British as their main administrative center.  In 1988 it was declared as a  World Heritage Site by UNESCO.

Kandewatta

In the past , the village where the stonecutters lived was named as Galwadugodaand part of that village which  surrounded by mountains was named as "Kandewatta" .

Chinakoratuwa

In the past, the Chinese traveled to the famous port of Galle with a variety of textile products andduring the period theycarried out their business  in Galle Town and stayed in the area where at present  named as  Cheenakortuwa. This area is named as Cheenakoratuwa because of the presence of Chinese people. The Dutch commandant who used Chinese people to grow vegetables  in order to provide meals to the employees who engaged in the construction  activates of fortress . Since this area is believed to be known as  "Cheenakoratuwa". Nowadays, the soil of the area is very fertile and it can be assumed that this belief is true.


During the past large ropes were used for ships sailed along the sea route close to Sri  Lanka.

When the ropes were  decayed the ropes produced in Cheenakoratuwa area were used .The area used to produced ropes was named as "Kambana" .The  land area from present bus stand to  Jumma Mosque at Cheenakoratuwa  was used to produce ropes.

Pokunuwaththa

  A princeof Siyamvisited Sri Lanka from Galle harbor and travelled to Kandy to visit the Most Sacred Tooth Relic. The prince believed that  hisgeneration and Shakya generation are closely related. Therefore he believed that he has a relationship to Lord Buddha Theprince of  Siam wanted to take the sacred  tooth relic to his hand  and he requested from  the DiyawadanaNilame and the Mahanayaka,thero who was in charge of Theawa.As his request was rejected he got angryand came back to Galle with all gems and pearls he had taken to offer Buddha.He stayed in a temple close to Galle . The villagers were friendly with prince and  persuaded him to bathe in a pool filled with  blue water. He used to bath in that pond. The pond in this legend was situated in a land in extent of  8 acres and it was made withgranite stones.At present this pool cannot be seen and it was filled with soil and houses were constructed on it.It is believed that because of this ancient pond this area was named as Pokunawatta.

Dangedara

During the colonial era, the  bullock cart drivers who transportedgoods to Galle harbor stayed in this area. The people of this area  volunteered to cater to those bullock  cart drivers. In the past, a very wealthy elite people lived in this area  and they  helped the poor people. Therefore this area is believed to be known as “Dangedara”

Madawalamulla

The name Madawalamulla was formed because there was a huge mud pit   in the corner of the village.

Magalla

This place is thought to have been named as Magalle due to  parking of cattle of the bullock carts which used to transport cargo to Galle harbour.

Pettigalawaththa

.Portuguese ,Dutch and British use the area close to Pettigalawatta sea border as “ruwaltota” during colonial periods . The cargo was  transported by sail ships  and thereafter  it was transported to land by using carts named as “Petti Karaththa”. All the carts were then owned by the government, and after thatthe carts had been parked in the area named as Petti- Gala – Watta  (this area is destroyed by tsunami disaster ) .At present this area is named as Pettigalawatta which was  named as  Petti- Gala – Watta  during the past. 

Makuluwa

.This area is denoted by the  “Makuluwa”  as the area is plenty ofrock  named as “Makul”

 

Katugod

There were thorny bushes in this area before settling people. Therefore the name “katugoda” is used to denote the area even after settling people.

Welipatha

There there was a large land called Welipatha Estate.Later the area is named as Welipatha.

Dadalla

During the Portuguese period if a person a had committed any  crimea mark is made on his palm as a fine for that. In Sinhala language it is named as “Dada alla”.It is believed that Dadalla derived from the name Dada alla. Later this village is named as Dadalla.

Walauwaththa

During the ancient period a headman who had a palace (walauwa)lived in this area and he donated hiswalauwa to the temple. The temple is called the Mahawalauwe temple. Later the area was  calledWalauwatta.

Ginthota

This area is named as “Gintota” since the end point of river Ging flows to sea fromthis area   which starts from Gongala mountain.

Welipitimodara

This area was located in vicinity of  three ancient temples.It is believed that Queen Sugala who fought with ‘” Soli army” hide in this area.

                                     

Bope

In the past a there was a large Bo –tree in this area. Due to the presence of the Bo-tree the area is known as Bope.

Ukwaththa

The people live in this area were engaged in sugarcane industry . Therefore

this area was named UkWatta.(Uk-Sugarcane , Watta –Land)

Ethiligoda

In ancient times the elephants werekept in this area. The elephants from various parts of the countryhad kept in this area. Therefore the area is named   as Eththiligoda .
Scroll To Top